.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christopher's Windy City Weblog

Monday, November 07, 2005

Payday

After a day like Thursday, I was all set to call in sick on Friday. Luckily, Friday was professional development day, which meant teachers got time to finish calculating their 10-week grades and enter them into the official computer record. There were also meetings.

After the Achievement Academy’s meeting, our new principal gave us all an orange 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper on which appeared in 24-point font: "You have worked so hard this week that you deserve an extra pay day. Please check your mailbox." And in 14-point font below that: "There is nothing that is done in the open or in secret that is not seen or known about . . . ." And below that, in 12 point: "Please know that all of your hard work does not go unnoticed."

Of course, I zeroed in on the pay day part right away. An extra payday? Since there was no way we were getting any kind of a bonus, maybe we were getting a free day off? Maybe in our mailboxes was a note saying “You’ve been working hard, so take a day off. Let me know what day you want to de-stress, and I won’t count it as a sick day.”

I’ve been having a lot of bad days lately, so I was thinking big.

My initial reaction to the Payday candy bar in my mailbox was one of disappointment. I felt like I had been teased and let down. But when I stripped all of the ambiguities of the message away, and looked at this gesture for what it was, a show of support and appreciation from our new principal, I was happy.

After all, we never got anything like this last year. And it’s the thought that counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home