.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christopher's Windy City Weblog

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Life in the Windy City: Cheese-by-mail

Mahaffey put in a good showing with that link to Adrian "Chief" Roman's martial-arts distance-learning site the he emailed me and the rest of the guys from Lansing today (http://www.adrianroman.com/M_menue.htm--you gotta see this to believe it), but Tom Wing is still the undisputed Master of Cheese.

Lemme 'splain.

After a particularly long and frustrating day at work, I come home to my sanctum sanctorum in Lincoln Park and, while checking my mail, find a small package for me on the floor of the lobby (this is, apparently, where all such packages end up--better that than having to go to the P.O. to get it). It was one of those mid-sized bubble-wrap-cushioned mailers--just the right size for the DVD box that was inside. The return address: Tom Wing, Lansing, MI.

Tom is the only friend I know who has both a TiVo and a DVD burner that works pretty much like a VCR works for the rest of us, and he has burned me some stuff before. I entertained the thought that this particular DVD might be more episodes of the animated Clone Wars series from Cartoon Network, or perhaps another particularly funny episode of "Angel," but I always kind of knew, in the back of my mind, that this DVD contained the Tom Wing Special: bad karate movies.

And I was not disappointed. Now I can thrill to the exploits of the "Master of the Flying Guillotine" or learn the secrets of "The Five Deadly Venoms." These are cheesy classics that no BKM-loving geek should be without.

But Tom added a little bit of sharp cheddar to this offering of creamy, flavorful havarti: "Joe's Apartment" (which he named "Christopher's Apartment" on the DVD menu). Then there was the last offering, a steamy hunk of feta: Perfect 10 Boxing. Think "America's Next Top Model" meets "The Contender." Yeah, my skin crawled, too, when I realized what I was watching.

Tom Wing, Undisputed Master of Cheese, you made my day. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home