.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christopher's Windy City Weblog

Friday, November 18, 2005

Facutly restroom = teachers only. Not around here.

While I was using the men's faculty restroom on the 2nd floor today, at the beginning of 3rd period, a group of four or five male students jimmied the lock and entered the restroom. I know they jimmied it, because I made sure the door locked behind me. However, I have also noticed that, with about half a dozen turns of the doorknob, it is still possible to open the door, locked or not. And even if the knob and lock worked properly, it is still possible to open that door with a credit card or an ID.

When I left the bathroom stall, I said "This is a faculty restroom, get out." The boys argued in a smug way before they eventually left, but I had to tell them three more times to leave.

I don't want to think about what would have happened had this group of boys decided to argue with me in a threatening manner. They were, after all, standing between me and the only door. Most teachers would just ignore the students and walk out, sending the implicit message that they can do whatever they want to around here. I put up with enough crap in my classroom--I'd like to at least be able to pee in peace around here.

And this is to say nothing of the sanitation issues that arise when students have access to the men's facutly restroom. There isn't a day I go in there I don't have to clean the toilet seat before I use it. Yesterday, I saw yellow liquid in the sink (it sat there because that sink is plugged and drains very slowly). My guess was that students are now urinating in the sink.

Obviously, the door on the men's faculty restroom on the second floor needs to be fitted with a lock that is more tamper-proof than the one currently installed.

Most of this post is also an email I sent to my boss. The second such one in two weeks. I trust my boss to fix this, but it's not all up to her. This is, after all, a very large bureacracy, and when the wheels turn at all, they turn very slowly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home