.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christopher's Windy City Weblog

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Can't Quit Now

The rollercoaster is never-ending. Today I was frustrated by students who came to class halfway through and then expected me cater to their needs, to basically start the lesson over because they had missed half of it.

In short, for a few minutes there, it was another “I want to quit before next semester” day. I’m just getting sick and tired of this crap and other crap like it, and the attendant bad attitudes, day after day after day after day.

Then, at the end of the day, “Xander,” who is getting one of the two solid A’s in my class, who is always polite, who never talks in class, who tries to stump me with Star Wars trivia, gave me a Christmas card envelope.

“Thanks, Xander.”

“You’re welcome Mr. Richardson. I’m not going to be here the next three days, and I didn’t want to forget your present.”

“Present?”

“Yeah, there’s a gift certificate inside. I know you like to read, so . . .”

“Xander . . . you didn’t have to . . .”

“I know. See ya Mr. Richardson. Have a good break”

I still get a little choked up, thinking about this. At the time, I had to go back into my classroom because, um . . . I had something in my eye.

Inside the envelope: a Christmas card, and a $25 gift Borders gift card. “Thank you from the Jackson family.”

How can I possibly walk out in the middle of the year now?

2 Comments:

  • Awwww. . . you can't quit now!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 AM  

  • "Winners never quit and quitters never win."

    The irony of this bit of wisdom is countered by the following quote;

    "You've got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home